Cartoons and Video Games

Cartoons and music have a long history. Check out this 1933  Betty Boop  cartoon.

Most of us grew up with full-length cartoons with music. I was 8 years old and stood in line for over two hours on 2nd Avenue with my mom to see Disney’s  The Jungle Book  when it was first released. The line stretch all the way to the Cushman St. Bridge from the Lacey St. Theater. To this day, I can still sing  Bare Necessities,  and  I Wanna be Like You.

I have included some links here for background. I am confident that if you want to write about one of your favorite  animated films, you will be able to find a ton of information with a few simple searches. Search suggestions:

Add the terms “analysis” “meaning” to the song title.

Sometimes you can type in “why so popular” with a song and get a ton of hits.

Look up interviews with the songwriters. Don’t forget to check out the composers on YouTube.

Chords, lyrics and sometimes even complete sheet music can be found online, or in the library. Here are a few background links you might not find so easily.

The Evolution of Disney Music

Disney Music 1920-1950

Video Game Music

journey

A Video Discussion of Top 10 Video Game Composers

I’m sure you have a favorite game. Do you love the music too? If so, look it up. I’m sure you can perform a search and find more about the music behind the game.

Composers

nobuManami Matsumae  – finally, a woman composer to discuss in this unit.

Nobuo Uematsu  – prolific and iconic

Koji Kondo – Iconic – Super Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda

Yoko Shimomura – the woman behind Street Fighter IIyokoshimomura2

Jeremy Soule  – symphonic style of writing

Yasunori Mitsuda – Chrono Trigger

austin1Austin Wintory – nominated for a grammy for a video game score

Lorne Balfe – nominated for a BFTA award for a video game score